Thursday, August 5, 2010

meetings, meetings, and scorpions


"before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting,
You are God"
Psalm 90:2

Brittan and I were sitting in a meeting today and had to put the date on a form for taxes. I turned to her and asked what day of the week it was and neither of us could remember. “It’s ALREADY Thursday?!?!” I couldn’t believe that it’s already that late in the week. Time is going by quickly. I had a feeling it was going to. I guess time flies by when you’re having fuuuuun.

Today consisted of meeting after meeting from 10am to about 2pm. The meetings were important and for the most part, interesting. We learned a lot about the school, staying healthy in Mexico, and the traditions and culture here in Mexico. It really made us even more excited to begin teaching. It was a little overwhelming but I was really encouraged by the speakers and their enthusiasm about the school and about teaching! We start classes on the 24th of August and I think we get to see our CLASSROOMS one day next week! :) We have a lot of great administration at the school we're working at. I can tell that they are willing to help us with ANYTHING we need and Cecilia, the woman that's been helping us get situated and comfortable, has been SOOO helpful. I look to her as a mother away from home. She's so easy to talk to, and understanding! We're so blessed to have her helping us! Thank you Jesus for loving people. Today she gave us a recipe for this fruit salad she makes! We had it for "lonch" today (that's the snack between breakfast and lunch). It's AMAZING. It has apples and pineapples and crema and sugar and oh.my.gosh. it tastes like a piece of heaven on earth! She also took us to Sushitto on Tuesday. I'm not even kidding when I say this but it's the BEST sushi I've ever had in my life.


I wanted to get a better picture but this is the best I can do at the moment.
This is a bridge-top view of the campus.



OH YEAH..
So, we came home from the movies last night
and found this little guy in our living room.


Another reason why Yuyo is the best thing, ever. He killed this sucker for us. He also told us that it was the first time he'd ever seen a scorpion in Mexico. So, that makes us feel a little better. Sort of. I'm just glad he didn't make it upstairs! Katey Fuller, your problem with roaches could always be worse ;)

We met our landlord yesterday. He came over to make sure everything was working properly and that we didn't have any major complications. We told him about the mold spots on Brittan's ceiling and he showed us how to turn on our gas heater so now we can have hot showers :) He's suuuuper nice and a very easy-going kind of man! He only speaks Spanish so it will be good to be forced to speak Spanish with him. He also told us that we could paint our bedrooms! That's super exciting. I'm thinking a yellow. We have to go look at paint though because we have a feeling it's going to be an expense we shouldn't go for just yet. Our apartment is slowly making progress into becoming a HOME. It feels much home-ier than it did at first but we still need a lot of things. We're getting some things for our living room area soon and Brittan got us a TV tonight. We have to find a screwdriver to get it up and running. Hopefully we can get that soon! She brought LOTS of fun TV shows with her on her external hard drive.

Here's the outside of our apartment.
We LOVE it here. LOVE LOVE it.


Here's a picture of our friend, Darius, dinner last night at the mall.
For those of you who don't really know what we're eating here
it gives you a little bit of an idea. This is a cemita and a taco with a meat
called "pastor". It's delicious. When you come visit me, we'll eat this. :)



That's about all I've got today. The rest of this week is going to be meetings, exploring the city, eating lots of yummy food & more apartment fixer upping :) Continue praying for energy and health and strength. And my presh students I'm going to have. Pray for Spanish & that I'll have more opportunities to improve. Also that God continue showing me His love and joy in this place.

love.

1 comment: